The Division of Food, Nutrition and Wellness, also known as "Fresh for Florida Kids," is searching for Student Chef Ambassadors to represent Florida during the 2014-2015 school year. The contest entry period is closed.
Create an original snack recipe. Only original recipes will be accepted. Do not use brand names of ingredients. Recipes must meet the following criteria:
- Contains at least one fresh fruit or fresh vegetable
- Has clear directions and makes 4 snack servings
- Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less
- Is creative and original in nature
- Has readily-available ingredients (those that can be purchased at a typical supermarket)
- Promotes good nutrition/is healthy
To be eligible, entries must be completed and received in the format designated below:
- The entry must be an original snack recipe.
- Entries must be submitted with a photo of a completed serving.
- Limit one entry per region per person.
- The recipe entry must be created solely by a child in fourth - twelfth grade living in the state of Florida during the 2014–2015 school year.
All qualifying round entries are judged based on nutrition, presentation/appeal and originality of the snack recipe. There will be three (3) qualifying round winners chosen for each category per region (9 per region, 45 total). Contest winners will be notified by email and the winning entries will be exhibited online.
The 45 qualifying round winners will be invited to cook their recipe for a panel of judges in a finalist round at their region’s Publix Aprons™ Cooking School for the chance to be named their region’s Student Chef Ambassador.
- Tampa: Central/West – September 27, 2014
- Tallahassee: Northwest – October 11, 2014
- Jacksonville: Northeast – October 25, 2014
- Miami: South – November 1, 2014
- Orlando: Central – November 15, 2014
Regional round qualifiers will have 45 minutes to prepare each recipe as written in their submission. The prepared dishes will be reviewed and scored by a panel of judges based on taste, originality and presentation. All decisions made by the panel are final.
There will be three (3) finalist round Grand Prize winners in each region (1 per grade level) and the high school winner will be the region’s Fresh for Florida Kids Student Chef Ambassador.
Everyone WINS who competes at a regional Cook-Off!
- Three FIRST PLACE winners (one from each grade category) at each Cook-Off will win a certificate for a Publix Aprons Cooking School class and a $100 gift card to Sports Authority!
- Three SECOND PLACE winners (one from each grade category) at each Cook-Off will win a certificate for a Publix Aprons Cooking School class and a $75 gift card to Sports Authority!
- Three THIRD PLACE winners (one from each grade category) at each Cook-Off will win a certificate for a Publix Aprons Cooking School class and a $50 gift card to Sports Authority!
All regional Cook-Off contestants will be given a $50 gift certificate to reimburse for ingredients and travel expenses. All prizing will be awarded at each Cook-Off.
All submissions will be made online using this website's entry page.
Digital photo of snack must be uploaded as a jpeg (1MB max). No person may be in the photo. A detailed list of ingredients in standard U.S. measurements, number of servings and directions on how to complete the snack recipe must be included.
Learn the official rules of the contest.