Do Not Call List and Telemarketing Top List of Consumer Complaints for May 2012
~ Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Releases May Status Report ~
June 4, 2012
Tallahassee, FL – Commissioner Adam Putnam announced today the top three complaints received in May through the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ 1-800- HELP-FLA consumer hotline: Do Not Call, Telemarketing and Credit Banking. In total, more than 3,900 complaints were filed by consumers in May and the department received 26,024 calls and 2,175 emails for consumer assistance and information.
In the last month, the department has responded to many consumer concerns and taken action against several individuals or businesses operating outside of Florida law. During the month of May 2012, the department:
- Registered 4,519 businesses (both initial or renewal business registrations)
- Received 3,908 complaints. The top three areas of consumers complaints include:
- Do Not Call
- Credit Banking
- Initiated 203 investigations (178 administrative and 25 criminal)
- Arrested eight individuals in violation of state law
- Recovered $406,030.72 on behalf of Florida consumers
- Added 222,882 numbers (98,324 individuals) to Florida’s Do Not Call List as of May 24, 2012. These numbers will be effective July 1, 2012. Currently, there are 71,460 numbers and 60,638 subscribers on the list. Starting July 1, there will be 294,342 numbers and 158,962 Florida subscribers on the list.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is the state’s clearinghouse for consumer complaints, protection and information. The call center is staffed with trained analysts who can respond to questions about programs and regulations under the department’s purview, provide information on a wide variety of topics, or direct callers to the appropriate government agency. In addition, the department has responsibility for regulating various business industries operating in Florida.
Consumers who believe fraud has taken place can contact the department’s consumer protection and information hotline at 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352) or, for Spanish speakers, 1-800-FL-AYUDA (352-9832).
For more information about the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, visit www.FreshFromFlorida.com.