Commissioner Putnam Announces Florida Consumers’ Council
~ Council Representing Businesses and Consumers to Guide Efforts by Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to Safeguard Floridians from Fraud ~
June 20, 2012
Tallahassee, FL –Commissioner of Agriculture Adam Putnam announced today appointments to the Florida Consumers’ Council, a group representing businesses and consumer interests whose purpose is to advise and assist the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services in carrying out its consumer services and programs.
With the appointment of new members to the council, Commissioner Putnam has restructured the council to represent both businesses and consumers and has renewed its purpose to focus on meeting the needs of Florida’s nearly 20 million consumers.
“It is our goal to protect Floridians from fraud and deception in the consumer marketplace,” said Commissioner Putnam. “By partnering with representatives of consumer interests as well as leaders in the business community, we can more effectively address the challenges facing Florida’s diverse consumer population.”
Council members represent a broad section of the industries regulated by the department and organizations that have a vested interest in protecting Floridians.
The members of the Florida Consumers’ Council are:
- Maximo Alvarez; President/Owner, Sunshine Gasoline Distributors, Inc.
- Vernita Brown; Detective, City of Orlando, Orlando Police Department
- Slade V. Dukes, Esq.; Program Administrator, Elder Consumer Protection Program, Stetson University College of Law
- Kenneth Egan; Vice President, Capital Pawn, Inc.
- Mona Fandel; Consumer Protection Administrator, Broward County
- Ed Fouché; Senior Vice President, Travel Industry Sales Americas, Disney Destinations, LLC
- Mike Howard; Bureau Chief for Veterans’ Claims, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Bob James; Consumer Citizen
- John Primeau; Senior Vice President, Director of Residential Mortgage Group, Florida Community Bank
- Richard Prudom; Deputy Secretary/Chief of Staff, Department of Elder Affairs
- Gloria Pugh; Chief Executive Officer, AMWAT Moving and Storage
- N. John Simmons, Jr.; President, Lifestyle Family Fitness
- Terry Worthington; President, United Way of Central Florida
The council, which held its first meeting on June 13 in Orlando, will guide the department in customizing its consumer services and programs to meet the needs of residents throughout Florida.
For more information about the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, visit www.FreshFromFlorida.com.