Do Not Call and Communications Top List of Consumer Complaints for August 2012
~ Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Releases August Status Report ~
September 11, 2012
TALLAHASSEE, FL – Commissioner Adam Putnam announced today the top three calls received in August through the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ 1-800- HELP-FLA consumer hotline: Do Not Call, Solicitation of Contributions and Motor Vehicle Repairs. In total, more than 3,900 complaints were filed by consumers in August and the department received 25,614 calls and 2,811 emails for consumer assistance and information.
In the last month, the department has responded to many consumer concerns and taken action against several individuals or businesses operating outside of Florida law. During the month of August 2012, the department:
- Registered 5,311 businesses (both initial or renewal business registrations)
- Received 4,571 complaints. The top three areas of consumers complaints include:
- Do Not Call
- Initiated 236 investigations (213 administrative and 23 criminal)
- Arrested eleven individuals in violation of state law
- Recovered $306.438.33 on behalf of Florida consumers
- Added 17,159 numbers (8,427 individuals) to Florida’s Do Not Call List as of August 31, 2012. These numbers will be effective October 1, 2012. Currently, there are 314,626 numbers and 172,629 subscribers on the list
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is the state’s clearinghouse for consumer complaints, protection and information. The call center is staffed with trained analysts who can respond to questions about programs and regulations under the department’s purview, provide information on a wide variety of topics, or direct callers to the appropriate government agency. In addition, the department has responsibility for regulating various business industries operating in Florida.
Consumers who believe fraud has taken place can contact the department’s consumer protection and information hotline at 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352) or, for Spanish speakers, 1-800-FL-AYUDA (352-9832).
For more information about the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, visit www.FreshFromFlorida.com.