Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Motor Vehicle Repair

The Florida Motor Vehicle Repair Act requires anyone who is paid to repair motor vehicles owned by other individuals to register with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS).

Select a question below to expand the answer.

I'm a military veteran. How can I apply for a business registration fee waiver?

Initial business registration fees can be waived for honorably discharged veterans, the spouse of a veteran, or a business with a majority ownership held by a veteran or spouse of a veteran within 60 months after the date of discharge. The waiver is available to veterans from any branch of the United States Armed Forces.

Applicants must meet the licensing requirements of the specific industry and must submit a separate Military Veteran Fee Waiver Request [ Adobe PDF Document ] form. The applicant must also submit a DD-214 form as proof of honorable discharge. This waiver does not include examination fees or other incidental fees. 

Call 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352) or 1-800-FL-AYUDA (352-9832) for more information regarding the veteran fee waiver.

How is repair work authorized?

By the customer's signature. However, the customer may be advised of the estimate by other means: telephone, fax, mail, etc., but you should note on the work order all specifics of the notification and authorization to protect yourself in the event of a claim.

What should I do with the signed paper?

Always give the customer a copy of any document requiring their signature. Keep a copy for your records.

How long do I have to keep records of my business?

One year.

Can work be done in excess of the work listed on the written estimate/work order?

You may not exceed the amount of the written estimate by more than $10 or 10 percent, whichever is greater, but not to exceed $50 without the written or oral consent of the customer. It is suggested that specific notes of the additional authorization be added to the written estimate/work order.

When does the customer get the invoice?

When the work is finished or when the customer cancels any work order or declines to have the work done and you have charged diagnostic fees.

What must be on the invoice?

  • The invoice may be provided on the same form as the written repair estimate.
  • The current date and odometer reading of the motor vehicle.
  • A statement indicating what was done to correct the problem or a description of the service provided.
  • An itemized description of all labor, parts and merchandise supplied and the costs of the merchandise.
  • Any items or merchandise provided with the repair at no cost, or reduced cost, to the customer must also be listed.
  • A statement identifying any replacement parts as being used, rebuilt or reconditioned as the case may be.
  • A statement indicating what, if anything, is guaranteed with the repair and the time and mileage period for which the guarantee is good.
  • The registration number from the certificate issued by FDACS identifying your shop.

What if I have torn down the vehicle and discover the written estimate will not cover the cost of the repair?

The customer must be immediately notified and authorization obtained to continue the repairs. If the authorization is not given, you must "expeditiously" reassemble the vehicle in a condition reasonably similar to the condition in which it was received, unless the customer waives reassembly or the reassembled vehicle would be unsafe.