Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Moving Companies

Chapter 507, Florida Statutes, requires any person engaged in intrastate moving to register with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS). Registration with FDACS is required if you are an intrastate mover, regardless of any other local, municipal or county licensing requirements. However, state registration does not exempt you from obtaining a local, municipal or county license.

Failure to comply with this law may subject you to a cease and desist order and fines of up to $5,000.

Intrastate movers and moving brokers must register biennially (every two years). The registration fee is $300 per year for each mover or moving broker. At the time of application or renewal, a $600 fee will be due for the two-year registration.

Frequently Asked Questions

Select a question below to expand the answer.

Who has to register?

Any person who intends to open or operate as an intrastate mover of household goods or moving broker shall, prior to engaging in such activity, register with FDACS.

What documents are required to register?

A Certificate of Insurance must be provided showing proof of proper coverage and certificate holder and must have proper cancellation verbiage. A copy of your policy, declarations page or insurance card will not be accepted. Coverage must include:

  1. Liability insurance coverage for the loss or damage of household goods — not less than $10,000 per shipment. If operating less than two trucks, in lieu of maintaining the liability insurance, a performance bond or certificate of deposit in the amount of $25,000 may be filed with FDACS. 
  2. Motor vehicle coverage, including bodily injury and property damage liability coverage in the following minimum amounts:
    1. $50,000 per occurrence for a commercial motor vehicle with a gross weight of less than 35,000 pounds.
    2. $100,000 per occurrence for a commercial motor vehicle with a gross weight of more than 35,000 pounds, but less than 44,000 pounds.
    3. $300,000 per occurrence for a commercial motor vehicle with a gross weight of 44,000 pounds or more.

Is the registration assignable?

No, a registration issued pursuant to this act is not assignable or transferable.

Are there any additional requirements?

Yes, required insurance coverage must be current and maintained throughout the registration period. Insurance and surety must be issued by a company authorized to transact business in this state, FDACS shall be named as a certificate holder and must be notified at least 10 days before cancellation of insurance coverage. 

  • Each contract of a mover or broker must include the phrase "(NAME OF FIRM) is registered with the State of Florida as a Mover or Moving Broker. Registration No. ______."
  • Each advertisement of a mover or broker must include the phrase "Fla. Mover Reg. No. _____" or "Fla. IM No. ____"
  • Each of the mover's vehicles must display a sign on the driver's side door which includes at least one of these phrases in lettering of at least 1.5 inches in height.

I'm a military veteran. How can I apply for a business registration fee waiver?

Initial business registration fees can be waived for honorably discharged veterans, the spouse of a veteran, or a business with a majority ownership held by a veteran or spouse of a veteran within 60 months after the date of discharge. The waiver is available to veterans from any branch of the United States Armed Forces.

Applicants must meet the licensing requirements of the specific industry and must submit a separate Military Veteran Fee Waiver Request [ Adobe PDF Document ] form. The applicant must also submit a DD-214 form as proof of honorable discharge. This waiver does not include examination fees or other incidental fees. 

Call 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352) or 1-800-FL-AYUDA (352-9832) for more information regarding the veteran fee waiver.