Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Solicitation of Contributions

The Solicitation of Contributions Act requires anyone who solicits donations from people in the state of Florida to register with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) and renew annually. This applies to charitable organizations, sponsors, professional solicitors and professional fundraising consultants. FDACS collects registration fees and has authority to impose penalties for noncompliance.

Some exemptions apply. The following entities may use our online registration tool:

  • Charitable Organizations (including Small Charitable/Sponsor Organizations and Charitable/Sponsor Organizations),
  • Professional Solicitors
  • and Professional Fundraising Consultants.

Solicitor Individuals are currently not able to use our online registration tool.

Small Charitable Organizations/Sponsors

Charitable organizations and sponsors that meet the following requirements are eligible to fill out the Small Charitable Organizations/Sponsors Application [ Adobe PDF Document ] in lieu of registration:

  • The charitable organization or sponsor has less than $25,000 in total revenue (including contributions) during the immediately preceding fiscal year.
  • The fundraising activities of the charitable organization or sponsor are carried on by volunteers, members or officers who are not compensated and no part of the assets or income of the organization or sponsor inures to the benefit of or is paid to any officer or member of the charitable organization or sponsor.
  • The charitable organization or sponsor does not use a professional fundraising consultant, professional solicitor or commercial co-venturer.

Small organizations are not required to pay a registration fee.

Note: If a charitable organization or sponsor that has registered as a small charity/sponsor has at any time during its fiscal year generated total revenue equal to or in excess of $25,000, compensated any officer or employee or utilized a professional fundraising consultant, professional solicitor, or commercial co-venturer, the small charity designation is void. The charitable organization or sponsor must then register with FDACS as required by Section 496.405, Florida Statutes, within 30 days after the date any of the aforementioned changes occur.

Every charitable organization or sponsor which is required to register under s. 496.405, F.S., or is exempt under s. 496.406(1)(d) shall conspicuously display the following statement on every solicitation, confirmation, receipt, or reminder of a contribution: “A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.” The statement must include a toll-free number and website for the division that can be used to obtain the registration information. When the solicitation consists of more than one piece, the statement must be displayed prominently in the solicitation materials. If the solicitation occurs on a website, the statement must be conspicuously displayed on any webpage that identifies a mailing address where contributions are to be sent, identifies a telephone number to call to process contributions, or provides for online processing of contributions. 

It is not required to post the disclosure statement on every page of a website. FDACS's toll-free number is 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352). The FDACS website is www.800helpfla.com.

Frequently Asked Questions

Select a question below to expand the answer.

If the registration applicant does not know the answer to a question on the application form, may it be left blank?

No. When an organization is registering for the first time with FDACS, the law requires that all questions on the registration application be answered. Leaving a question blank will delay the registration process until all questions are answered.

Yes, No, or None are acceptable answers to some questions on the registration application.

What if I did not receive any money in the preceding year?

What is reported to the IRS is to be reported with your renewal. This information is available to the public through Check-A-Charity as required by law. If zeros are submitted on the Statement of Support/Revenue and Expense, zeros will appear in Check-A-Charity.

What if our financials are not yet completed but our license is about to expire? May we wait until these are prepared?

No. If your IRS 990 is not ready, complete and submit the Statement of Support/Revenue included with your application. When the IRS 990 is ready, send it to update your file. FDACS does not recognize IRS extensions at this time.

What if I need an extension for submitting a financial statement?

Organizations may request a 180-day extension for filing of their financial statement only. A request for an extension can be made by checking the appropriate box under question #26 of the registration application. Failure to file a financial statement within the 180 days will result in automatic suspension of your registration. All registration documents and fees must be filed on or before the expiration date.

How much is the late fee for a licensed organization submitting a late renewal application?

The late filing fee shall be $25 for each month or part of a month after the date on which the annual renewal statement and financial report were due to be filed with FDACS.

Does grant money need to be reported?

Yes, it needs to be reported on the financial form with proper documentation; however, government grants are not included when calculating the registration fee.

How much is my registration fee?

Fees are based on the immediate preceding year’s financial report submitted by the organization. Newly formed organizations with NO PREVIOUS financial history must file a proposed budget. The Statement of Support/Revenue and Expenses included in the application can be used to submit a budget.

May I use the form from the website to renew our registration?

No. A preprinted renewal application will be mailed approximately 30 days in advance of your expiration date. If you did not receive the renewal application, you may call FDACS at 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352) calling from Florida or (850) 410-3800 calling from outside of Florida, or you can email your request to  CSWebmaster@FreshFromFlorida.com and have your renewal application emailed or mailed to you. 

We are going to hold a raffle, what do we need to do?

Requirements for raffles can be found in  s. 849.0935, F.S. Additionally, the organization must be in compliance with  Chapter 496, F.S.

Do we have to sign the application?

Yes. Additionally, the renewal form provides a section for the signature and contact information of the individual completing the form.

What is a conflict of interest certification?

Florida law now requires charities that do not fall into the small charity category to adopt a conflict of interest policy. You do not need to submit the policy to FDACS. However, you are required to submit a statement certifying that all board members and directors have read and understand the policy. One signature certifying on behalf of all board members is sufficient. A sample certification document that you can use can be found under the Additional Forms section. The IRS also has  information about Conflict of Interest policies.

How will charities be affected by changes made during the 2014 legislative session to Florida’s Solicitation of Contributions Act?

FDACS is still in the process of implementing these changes. Charities, professional solicitors and professional fundraising consultants will be notified as new information is required and changes are made. We appreciate your cooperation and patience during the implementation process. View the Charitable Giving in Florida Fact Sheet [ Adobe PDF Document 79.05 KB ].