Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Animal Movement Requirements

Need “health papers” for Florida? If Florida is your animal’s destination, we want to help you navigate the path to our beautiful state. The requirements for animal movement can seem complex since they can involve more than one government agency. There are state rules for movement, travel, entry and show requirements, and federal rules for movement, travel, import and export. The links on this page are designed to simplify the process and encourage travel and business in the Sunshine State.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) regulates the entry of many livestock and poultry breeds and most exotic species into Florida and into shows and exhibitions in the state. The links below provide you with the specific requirements and also provide contacts for other state and federal partners that may be involved in moving your animals.

If you have additional questions, we encourage you to call our staff at (850) 410-0900. The best resource when planning travel with your animals is the State Animal Health Official (State Veterinarian’s Office) in your state of destination. We encourage you to plan ahead by calling ahead.

What Is an Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (OCVI or eOCVI)?

Historically, an Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection has been known as a “health certificate.” An OCVI is a document signed by a veterinarian, who has appropriate state licenses and federal credentials, stating that an animal has been examined, is healthy and is not showing signs of a contagious disease. An eOCVI is an electronic version of the Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection.

Interstate and Intrastate Movement Regulations and Terms

Rules for bringing animals into Florida from other states (called interstate movement) and moving within the state of Florida for shows or events (called intrastate movement) are summarized in the links below.

If you would like to read the detailed Rules and Regulations (Administrative Code), they may be found at Importation of Animals into Florida — F.A.C. 5C-3 and Admission of Animals into Florida for Exhibition — F.A.C. 5C-4.

For additional movement requirements, visit Other Animal Movement Requirements and Information.