Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Burn Authorizations

Activities That Require a Burn Authorization

The following activities require a burn authorization from the Florida Forest Service:

  • Agricultural burning
  • Silvicultural burning
  • Land clearing
  • Pile burning
  • Acreage burning

Activities That Do NOT Require a Burn Authorization

You do not need a burn authorization to burn yard waste as long as:

  • The pile is less than 8 feet in diameter,
  • You meet the required setbacks, and
  • There are no local, city or county ordinances in place that prohibit burning.

Check with your local city and county fire officials to find out if there are any restrictions in your area.

For more information, please visit our Know the Law page.

How to Get a Burn Authorization

Please read Steps to Getting an Authorization [ Adobe PDF Document 436.83 KB ] [ 436.83 KB ], then select a district or county from the interactive map or table below to find the field unit office responsible for these services and programs in your area.

Map showing forestry Field Unit areas

Blackwater Forestry Center Chipola Forestry Center Tallahassee Forestry Center Perry District Suwannee Forestry Center Jacksonville District Waccasassa Forestry Center Bunnell District Withlacoochee Forestry Center Orlando District Lakeland District Okeechobee District Myakka River District Caloosahatchee District Everglades District
Field Unit Table

Field Unit by County


Field Unit by Unit Name and Number

1-  Blackwater 
2-  Chipola
4-  Tallahassee
5-  Perry 
6-  Suwannee 
7-  Jacksonville 
8-  Waccasassa

10-  Bunnell
11-  Withlacoochee 
12-  Orlando
14-  Lakeland
15-  Myakka River
16-  Okeechobee
17-  Caloosahatchee 
18-  Everglades

Citizens with questions regarding our wildland fire and forest management programs, including burn authorization requests, wildland fire reporting, arsonist reporting, landowner assistance or bare root tree seedling orders, should directly contact the field unit that serves your county.