Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) Division of Plant Industry (DPI) regulates the planting of cotton in Florida due to boll weevil. These regulations prohibit the noncommercial propagation, planting and growing of any species of Gossypium in Florida except under FDACS special permit (this includes wild cotton). In addition, wild cotton is listed as an endangered plant in Florida and should not be removed from the wild.
- Commercial Growers: Please see Boll Weevil Eradication Program below.
- Homeowner/Demonstration/Research Plots: Obtaining a Permit — call the DPI Helpline at 1-888-397-1517 for more information.
The boll weevil, Anthonomus grandis, is considered a major pest of cotton. The boll weevil first entered the U.S. in 1892, but has been eradicated from Florida for several years now through the Boll Weevil Eradication Program [ ]
Department Rules and State Statutes:
2016 Boll Weevil Eradication Program Information:
All Florida cotton producers are required to participate in the Boll Weevil Eradication Program.
Cotton producers should provide a report of intended acres of cotton by April 30, 2016. Cotton producers who do not intend to plant should submit a report of intended acres of 0 acres. Those producers who are uncertain as to whether or not they are planting should submit an intended acreage form. If they decide to plant, they will report their actual acreage on a Cotton Acreage Reporting form along with their payment by July 31, 2016. If the producer decides not to plant and has submitted an intended acreage report, they should submit an actual acreage report indicating 0 acres were planted by July 31, 2015.
To be eligible for the $2 per acre assessment, cotton growers must submit their actual acreage on the Cotton Acreage Reporting Form and pay their assessment by July 31, 2016. Cotton producers who fail to meet this requirement will be assessed the $5 per acre rate.
- 2016 Boll Weevil Assessment Instructions to Growers [ ]
- Boll Weevil Eradication Program — Cotton Acreage Reporting Form [ ]
More Boll Weevil Information
- National Cotton Council information on Boll Weevil Eradication
- USDA Pest Tracker Invasive Insects: Boll Weevil
- Southeastern Boll Weevil Eradication Foundation
Other Cotton Pests
Cotton Seed Bug Bug, Oxycarenus hyalinipennis