Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
The Forest Hydrology Section provides specialized technical services and information to Florida's private and public forest landowners and to other interested parties, for the protection of the state's water resources in association with silviculture activities.
The core of this area of service is Florida's Silviculture Best Management Practices (BMP) program, which originated in 1979. Under this program, the Forest Hydrology Section is responsible for BMP development and implementation, as well as monitoring BMPs for both compliance and effectiveness. The Hydrology Section publishes and distributes the state's Silviculture BMP Manual and other related publications.
In addition, the section is responsible for water resource management and hydrologic restoration on the Florida Forest Service's state forests. This area of responsibility includes restoration planning, funding and implementation as well as permitting and other regulatory aspects of restoration and forest watershed management. Find out more about Wetland Restoration on State Forests.
Florida Administrative Code Rules
- Best Management Practices for Silviculture and Notice of Intent to Implement Form [ ]
- 5I-8 Florida Forestry Wildlife Best Management Practices for State Imperiled Species [ ]
- Silviculture Best Management Practices 2017 Implementation Survey Report [ ]
- Forestry Wildlife Best Management Practices Survey for State Imperiled Species 2017 [ ]
- Silviculture Best Management Practices Manual [ ]
- Florida Forestry Wildlife Best Management Practices For State Imperiled Species Manual [ ]
- Notice of Intent to Implement Florida Forestry Wildlife Best Management Practices [ ]
- Water Management District No-Fee Noticed Exemptions for Minor Silvicultural Surface Water Management Systems (Chapter 62-330.0511 F.A.C.)
On-site Field Demonstration Videos: Two DVDs are available by request:
- Special Management Zones, Wetlands and Waste Disposal
- Forest Roads and Stream Crossings
BMP Courtesy Checks
We offer voluntary on-site inspections to evaluate silviculture best management practices for forestry operations. Find out more.