Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Posted April 3, 2013 in Entrees, Clams
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons celery, diced
- 2/3 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 1 (8-oz) bottle clam juice
- 1 cup canned, diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 ½ dozen littleneck clams, rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat until golden.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potato, clam juice, and tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add clams; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clams open.
- Discard any clams not open after 10 minutes.
- Move pan off heat.
- Remove clams with tongs reserving a few clams in the shell for garnish.
- Detach clam meat from remaining shells and return meat to chowder.
- Stir in parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Note: The chowder (without the clams and parsley) can be made 1 day ahead.
- Bring chowder to a simmer then add clams and proceed as directed.