Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Blue Crab Cakes with Tangy Butter Sauce
Posted April 17, 2013 in Entrees, Crab
- 1 pound lump blue crabmeat, drained, shell pieces removed
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 egg whites lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Gently fold in crabmeat and 3/4 cup panko crumbs.
- Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Shape the crab mixture into 8 patties each 3/4-inch thick.
- In a shallow dish, roll patties in remaining 3/4 cup panko crumbs, coating evenly.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat oil and cook 4 crab cakes at a time for 7 minutes until golden.
- For butter sauce, combine broth, shallots and vinegar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Serve with crab cakes.