Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Honey Citrus Stone Crab Claws with Hearts of Palm Salad
Posted April 15, 2013 in Entrees, Crab
- 3 pounds medium stone crab claws, cooked and chilled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup orange or tangerine juice
- 8 hearts of palm, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers, roasted, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell peppers, roasted, thinly sliced
- 2 medium oranges or tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Crack claws; remove shell and movable pincer, leaving the meat attached to the remaining pincer.
- Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, honey and orange or tangerine juice.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thickened to syrup.
- Remove from heat, cool and set aside.
- Slice hearts of palm into thin strips.
- In a bowl, combine the hearts of palm, onions, peppers, orange or tangerine segments,tarragon and spinach.
- Dress salad with olive oil and vinegar; toss until moistened.
- Serve salad in the center of each plate with stone crab claws arranged around the edge.
- Drizzle the honey citrus sauce over all and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve extra honey citrus sauce on the side.