Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Grouper Thai Curry Bisque
Posted April 16, 2013 in Entrees, Grouper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (6-ounce) grouper fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and coarse chopped
- 1 cup shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 small dried red chiles
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups bottled clam juice or chicken broth
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
- Add grouper pieces and sauté until just browned.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic cloves and shallots to the pan; cook over moderately high heat until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chilies, ginger, fennel, carrots and curry paste.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes longer.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the grouper and lime juice; cover and simmer over low heat 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro; serve hot.