Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Pan Seared Florida Grouper with Smoked Gouda Grits and Tomato-Bacon Gravy
Posted December 29, 2015 in Entrees, Grouper
- 4 (5-7 ounce) portions Florida grouper
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grits, coarse ground
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup smoked Gouda cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 cup thick-cut bacon, chopped small
- 2 large Florida tomatoes, diced small
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 4 scallions, sliced thin for garnish
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized saucepot, add 2 cups vegetable stock and 1 cup of milk.
- Bring ingredients to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add grits and butter and let cook according to the directions on the package of grits.
- When the grits are cooked, add the smoked Gouda cheese and stir to combine.
- Taste grits and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- If the grits seem too thick, add a small amount of vegetable stock or milk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Turn the temperature to low until the dish is ready to be plated.
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the preheated pan.
- Lightly season the grouper fillets with salt, pepper and fresh parsley.
- Carefully place the seasoned fillets top side down in the sauté pan.
- Cook each fillet for around 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and completely cooked throughout the thickest part of the fillet.
- Remove the cooked fillets from the pan and add the chopped bacon.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, and add the tomatoes and garlic.
- Cook the tomato mixture until the tomatoes start to wilt and release their juices.
- Add the heavy cream, lemon juice and 1/2 cup vegetable stock.
- Quickly bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat.
- Taste tomato gravy and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve the grouper over a bed of grits and top with the tomato gravy.
- Garnish with the thin sliced scallions.