Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Posted December 29, 2015 in Snapper
- 14 ounces Florida snapper, skin removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko (Japanese style breadcrumbs)
- 1 bunch green onions, washed and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped fine
- 2 cups Florida seedless watermelon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup carrot, shredded fine
- 1/2 cup sweet-spicy chili sauce (your favorite kind) plus more if desired
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fill and preheat a fryer to 350 degrees.
- Use 3 mixing bowls or casserole dishes to hold the ingredients for the breading process.
- In the first container, add the flour.
- In the second container, add the milk and eggs.
- Mix the milk and eggs to combine.
- In the third container, add the breadcrumbs.
- Lightly season the flour and breadcrumbs with salt and pepper to taste.
- To bread the snapper bites, first put them into the flour and make sure they are coated. Shake off any excess flour.
- Next, add the flour-coated snapper bites to the egg and milk mixture.
- Again, make sure they are coated.
- It is best to bread a handful of the snapper bites at a time.
- Use your fingers or a slotted spoon to let any excess egg mixture drain off.
- Next, add the coated snapper bites to the bread crumbs.
- Again, they should be evenly coated.
- Shake off any excess bread crumbs, and carefully add the coated snapper bites to the fryer basket.
- Continue this process until all the bites have been breaded.
- Be careful not to overcrowd the fryer basket; this could cause the oil to lose too much temperature, resulting in an oily end product.
- Carefully lower the fry basket into the hot oil.
- Cook the snapper bites for 2 to 3 minutes until they are golden brown and completely cooked inside.
- When the snapper bites are cooked, remove them from the oil and let them drain.
- Place snapper bites into clean, large mixing bowl.
- Add the green onions, mint, watermelon, carrot and sweet chili sauce.
- Lightly toss the ingredients to coat.
- Place the snapper ingredients onto plates or a platter for serving.
- Serve dish with extra sweet chili sauce.